Saturday, October 4, 2008

REAL Garden Art

Check out what I got at the Lincoln Arts Festival last weekend. I'd been searching for a long while for real art, but everything was way too expensive. I was overjoyed. Verklempt.

The artist, Shannon Hansen, dropped this off Monday. I had unknowingly been coveting his work for years as I drove by a local gallery almost every day, but those larger pieces were tres chere.

My piece is not in its permanent place in the garden (due to spring plant moving plans) nor is it perfectly straight, but you get the idea. Shannon is a cool, down to earth artist who teaches metal working / industrial welding at a local community college (and he was impressed with my disappearing fountain, so hey). The piece is carbon steel, coated in acrylic urethane, and is from his "flex" series. Go check out his work, I know there's much more I'd like to have.



5 comments:

Gail said...

It's a fantastic sculpture Benjamin....it will look great in your garden when you find a permanent place of honor.

gail

Benjamin Vogt said...

Gail--I just adore it, but I know I shouldn't adore things....

Garden Wise Guy said...

Benjamin: Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Glad you enjoyed the read.

You art find is truly wonderful. There are so many ways to "play with it" in the garden - the color is so decisive and the balance and grace like a dancer. Keep us posted on how you work it into the garden.

Billy G

joco said...

It 'll get rustier and rustier and more beautiful as the years go by...
I've got just the place for it ...:-)

Thought of having it on a slow rotate?

Benjamin Vogt said...

It better not get rusty! Artist said it shouldn't need another coat of urethane for a few years. Speaking of which, next spring I need to put a sealnt on my concrete fountain.