Monday, July 27, 2009

Monarch Dive Bombing a Swallowtail

Enjoy the pictures. I took dozens to get these few. Three monarchs didn't like this one swallowtail competing at the various liatris. (Which is why I'll be planting much more this fall--liatris I mean, not butterflies.)





















This monarch cat had nothing to do with the above, but you know in about two weeks it will. Tasty milkweed flowers. I've noticed monarchs are placing eggs between flower buds, not just on leaves.













Unrelated, I just think the black chokeberry shrub's berries look nice--not black yet, but soon.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I love the image with the monarch in flight, with the edges of it's wings just a touch out of focus - fun!

Benjamin Vogt said...

I'd glad someone else thought the shots were cool--I was so proud of myself for being patient in the heat.