Thursday, June 7, 2012

Nebraska Wildflowers Day 6 -- Blue Sage

This is Nebraska wildflower week. Each day I'll feature a native wildflower that grows well for me in my fickle clay AND brings in butterflies. Hopefully, you'll find something you've never seen before.

To end the week, on Saturday, June 9 at 10am, I'll be giving a presentation on Nebraska wildflowers at Finke Gardens and Nursery. And don't forget, I do run a native prairie garden coaching business. Ahem.

Also, check out Bob Henrickson's (NE Statewide Arboretum) fantastic advice on planting a mini prairie in your landscape.

----------

Want a true native to Lincoln, Nebraska? Salvia azurea 'Nekan' was found on the north side of town, though I'm not sure why it's different than regular 'ole blue sage--it is blue though, rare in flowers. The leaves smell lovely, and every September at dusk I see hummingbirds nectaring on it.



Full sun, dry to medium clay, 3-4' tall by 1' wide. If you pinch it back in late spring and early summer, you'll get a bushier plant with more flowers.  This is a good perennial with which to get kids interested in growing, since the seeds germinate easily and quickly in a potting mix or broadcast on the soil surface.

3 comments:

ProfessorRoush said...

Benjamin, I practice the "pinching back"...which should be done about now...on my native blue sage; it comes up in my garden wherever I recognize the seedlings.

Gail said...

I have Salvia azurea, but not 'Nekan' must try to find it.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Dr R--I pinched mine two weeks ago, might get crazy and do it again. I have some coming up where I seeded last fall and am most pleased.
Gail--I don't know the difference with 'nekan.' I just know it's a true native (esp now that I'm open pollinating it out back).