Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Hot Hot Hot in the May Garden

Finally done grading my for English classes at two colleges (oh the part time adjunct life), slowly settling into blogging again and a summer of finishing my Oklahoma memoir. On June 1 I'll be presenting part of the research from that memoir at the Association for the Study of Literature and Environment conference, alongside one of my favorite writers, Linda Hogan. So if you want to hear about Mennonite migration in the late 1800s in the southern Plains, I can hook you up.

I've had several more consultations this year for my business, Monarch Gardens, helping homeowners and schools get prairie plantings designed and started. It's very rewarding. Also have given presentations at gardens shows, nurseries, a retirement home, and tomorrow in Omaha at the Ralston Library at noon. I wish this all paid enough to be half my income, or a decent part of it anyway -- what a joy that would be! I have huge dreams for an acreage, prairie, artist residences, a destination garden, small nursery, and something else on wheels.

Below is what's been happening in my garden these last two weeks. Three mornings ago it was a record low of 31, today a record high of 100. I can see it'll be another fun year trying to learn how to vegetable garden. Good thing I have the native perennials to fall back on. On June 8 the space will be on the Garden Club of Lincoln tour, and I hope to have prairie seedlings for sale cheap, along with my books and some refreshments.

New mulch, ready for the tour!
A bit further in to the garden.

Crabapple transplanted from old house to new.

Pasque flowers look good even in decay.

Two weeks ago had a flock of 30 cedar waxwings.

Finally lured in an oriole! A female?

This thing freaked me out when I reached for the faucet.

Birch tree.

Self portrait with birch tree.
Birch tree and sunset.

7 comments:

Martha said...

A few winters ago a little frog took up residence in our garden shed which we keep warm and lighted for the tropicals stored in there.
I was just taking a photo of the late winter seedlings and only saw his cute self on the edge of the plant tray after I downloaded the pics.
The time lapse sequence of your garden is splendiferous! Watched it twice so far.

Chris said...

Loved the picture of the happy little frog, and the honesty in the caption "The thing that freaked me out when I reached for the faucet."
Also, loved Marthas little story above. If only, I was so luck that frogs would visit my garden as well!

Gaia Gardener: said...

Love your self portrait, as well as the sunset portrait of the birch against the sky. And the birch tree by itself. And the frog. (How did you manage to capture so much personality in that photo!)

I think your oriole is a first year male, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Last of all - Yikes! on the heat. Our high so far has been 91 - which is quite high enough, thank you very kindly.

Enjoy your garden tours - you're doing some awesome educating, in much more than English!

Benjamin Vogt said...

Martha--I'm hoping to add to the timelapse this summer! Another year....
Chris--Well, when it jumped it DID startle me. Banged my head even.
GG--I love teaching; it's always been English, but maybe now prairie can play a larger roll, too. :)

Jen Colbert said...

Great photos! Where do you get cheap mulch around here?

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

It all looks so beautiful and the birds and critters agree...love the sunset.

Natalie said...

"It all looks so beautiful and the birds and critters agree...love the sunset."

Couldn't agree more!