Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Activist Garden Sign is Up

I actually felt nervous digging this in, wondering if neighbors will be offended, what someone might say, if it will be vandalized for what it says or just because it's there. But I had to say something. I have this learning lab out back that no one sees. I had to do something. What do you think?


I've found, and assumed, that those living in new subdivisions like mine are much more militant about what landscapes should look like -- namely, lawn, lawn, lawn, and a few super bland foundation plants so close to the house wall you're not sure if they're painted on or not. Go into town, in older neighborhoods, and there's more variety. Of course, that lack of uniformity means someone might have a moldy couch out front, an RV that never moves, or plastic flamingos in various colors.

I planted the sign with aromatic aster, rudbeckia hirta, stiff goldenrod, and blue sage. I'd like to find some sideoats grama grass (for some reason my seeds never germinated this year).

We'll see. Go bold or go cold.


9 comments:

allanbecker-gardenguru said...

Please let us know how the community reacts to your endeavor

Sunnyside Dru said...

great sign!

Jamie K said...

Brilliant idea and I would be interested to know the response. Who knows, perhaps you will encourage more people to have landscaping such as yours!

Gaia Gardener: said...

Love it! Where did you have the made? I wonder, too, if it isn't time to start moving some of your more "common" natives into your front yard beds, either up by the house or around the mail box or in an island bed: purple coneflower, coreopsis, monarda, black-eyed Susan, little bluestem,... Ah, you know better than I do which ones to use! Then the neighbors can start to see how great they look and how little work they require.

Jenna Colbert said...

Nebraska Nursery has sideoats in gallon size. I wonder who is in charge of landscaping these subdivisions? They have a cool HOA in a Colorado town that lets the grass get to 12'' so they can have the state grass growing as a lawn-blue grama.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT! ROCK ON Y'ALL!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Brilliant sign....you could sell these to many enthusiasts...

lilcatfeet56 said...

I have been thinking along this line of of putting out a sign in my front yard which is lawnless and full of natives and insect attractors. I want the passers by to understand this goes beyond the pretty flowers.

You have inspired me to go beyond thinking to doing...

I am also very excited to have hatched 8 monarch caterpillars which are growing in my 'nursery'. My granddaughters are enthralled by them.

Thank for the inspirations.

Mike Suiter said...

How much sideoats grama are you looking for? I can check my acre prairie and see if some seeds are still on the stems. I know little bluestem is covered in seeds right now.

Don't want to put my email on a blog but you can use my contact page:

http://suiteronline.com/contact/