Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Monarch Gardens Consulting / Coaching -- Open for Business

Over a year of thinking, prodded by the garden tour, has brought me to this great experiment: Great Plains native plant garden consulting. Feel free to link over to the main Monarch Gardens site and check me / us out (strange how, when starting a service or business, the singular becomes the plural--as if I have multiple personalities).


Both joy and sadness necessitate attempting this venture. I've extensively researched and written horticulturally for two books (and experimented in my garden), so I feel I have something to give--but I think my garden can speak for itself. I want to do something good for the local ecosystems, and I believe helping create sustainable native plant gardens of any size is a good step. I was also not rehired for my university teaching position. I've been teaching for chump change since 2000, over 30 classes, and now it's time to take some leaps of faith (could also be a mid life crisis--I turn 35 in July). Higher education is in a shambles--and not just because I can't do what I love, namely work with students, be in that environment / time period of profound discovery and change. So, I'll try do something else I love--talk plants, help the environment. If I can't be wonderfully humbled by students, plants will do.

If you're in Lincoln or nearby and want to test the waters, please do contact me and we'll take it from there.

9 comments:

Adrian Ayres Fisher said...

Good luck to you in the new venture. Keep writing, keep writing! I admire your talent and drive.

Victoria Summerley said...

The best of the bestest good luck! I'm sorry to hear about your contract, but I think this could be an opportunity.
You always seem so inspired by the natural world, and so much more relaxed and open when you're talking about your garden, this may be a very good move in terms of your writing.
And if you really missed teaching, could you perhaps teach a creative writing class to adult learners, like an evening class or something? (I know they're very popular here in the UK.)

Benjamin Vogt said...

Adrian--Writing being in September. Somehow. I still have muh research to do and organizing said research before I can do the next book.
Victoria--I'm more relaxed and open when I talk garden? Really? There are no teaching opportunities around her at any level. And the economy does not help. Stupid country not doing anything about the economy, lazy, ignorant, self-centered leaders. Oh, that's pretty open isn't it? :)

Diana Studer said...

Congratulations on the new venture! I hope you will have new customers from amongst your garden visitors. Will you make a favicon for Monarch Gardens?

Les said...

Sometimes wings sprout when leaps are taken. I wish you the best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you - I'd sensed a heaviness and this entry seems more energetic.Your passion shows in well crafted writing and gardening. I'll keep checking your blog to enjoy both.

naomi

Casa Mariposa said...

I understand what it's like to be a teacher who isn't teaching. I once lived in a state where resumes had been replaced by family trees and not being local = no job. Good luck with your new business. Hopefully, it will combine teaching and gardening and that would be awesome!!

Sarah said...

This seems SO perfect for you! I could not be more excited about your new venture and think you are on your mark... for whatever my opinion is worth - Tom and I were just chatting about how you should come to Albert Lea to the Seed House and do a workshop on native gardens and projects... noodle on that - I am sure we could round up some interested participants and good times!

Caridee said...

I wish you good luck with a new venture!!! You are doing a great job to keep our ecosystems!!! Well-done!!! Don't forget to let us know about your achievement!!!