Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Leaf Project and Bee-tude

First, my entry for Gardening Gone Wild's October Picture This Photo Contest (whew), part of my autumn leaf project. This is Cassia hebecarpa, or wild senna.



















Yesterday, before I cut the cosmos and brought them in, I was able to get this shot of a bee. I was lucky with it--the wind was howling and the bloom rocking, as was this rudely-interrupted bee. Rocking. She flew off, bouncing into the siding a few times, over pollinated I presume. I hated to cut the flowers, but a freeze was imminent.













Well, my job applications for university teaching positions are out after weeks working on them. Hopefully, in December, I'll hear I've got some interviews. Then maybe in January some campus visits. Then.... Can you tell I'm excited and hopeful? Right now it's back to organizing research for the Oklahoma memoir--which I better start writing in November. Today I'm re-reading accounts of Custer's slaughter of a Cheyenne village near where I grew up in Oklahoma, and it's simply just hard to get through--particularly because the world hasn't changed that much since 1868. Well, uh, sorry... bee happy and look at that last photo above.

12 comments:

Rohrerbot said...

Good luck!! Love the bee shot. Nothing like waiting for THAT call:)

Diana Studer said...

Somewhere there is a class of students waiting for you.

Benjamin Vogt said...

R--I got lots of "that calls" I'm waiting for. :)
D--And they have no idea what they're in for! Hahaha.....

hobetz said...

beautiful photos

Donna said...

Good luck...I miss teaching since I went into administration. The students will love you and can't wait for the memoir.

Benjamin Vogt said...

H--Thank ya kindly!
D--Well, I can't wait for the memoir either. I have high hopes, but am worried I'll have to write some fiction in it.

Les said...

Good luck with your entry, but I would rather see you earn a teaching position than win a photo contest.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Les--Yuppers. Yuppers yuppers yuppers.

Town Mouse said...

Great photo! Good luck with the teaching position. Just hang in there, eventually it will happen.

Benjamin Vogt said...

TM--Thank you! :)

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I look forward to my wild sennas getting large like yours. The one I got from the arboretum has dropped all of its leaves. The one from you is just starting to change colors.

I hope you hear from one of those schools soon.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Sue--Mine lost leaves a few weeks ago now. I was looking back at pics from years passed, and I'm hoping yours gets big and flowery next year. I have more seedlings if you or anyone ever want any! And lots of seeds dropping from the pods now.