Monday, June 17, 2013

What's Wrong With My Garden

Maybe it's because I'm having dreams of bigger, riskier things, but I'm somewhat unsatisfied with the garden. Oh, it's full and lush, firing on all cylinders. It's taking care of itself beautifully as a healthy ecosystem should. I don't know if I can put my finger on it....


This is perhaps my favorite angled view of the main garden, capturing most of it in the frame. The paths are hidden by the height of the three main beds. In a few weeks this will all be color, but even now, the texture is appealing. But I'm bored. Is it that I've become accustomed to it? That, like any gardener, I strive for more? Like any artist, the work is never right even when it is?


Maybe the paths are too narrow. The plants too thick. Maybe it's the lack of shrubs (not bushes) and sitting areas, or the lack of "rooms" within the space.


I'm borrowing my neighbor's invasive red cedars for seclusion, shade, contrast, scale, and a windbreak. The garden feels so small, yet it's 1,500 square feet.


I love coneflowers for their variety in appearance from bud to winter seedhead. This year, I'm especially enamored with this phase -- the almost phase. I can hear it grunting, stretching, and relaxing with a long sigh. This phase is almost prettier than any other. Did I just notice it? Have I become bored with the full bloom and now I have moved on to another period in development? What's next, the leaves?


I don't know what it is. Well, maybe part of it is the total lack of butterflies and moths this year, and the bumblebees have gone into hiding. Flies and mosquitoes, that's what I have as far as a fourth dimension. Maybe the purpose of my garden isn't for my pleasure or necessity, but the absent wildlife. Where is the world? Where are you, denizens of bloom, for which I've placed this feast? I miss you and I want to do more. I want a bigger garden. I want more flowering shrubs. More perennials. More fountains. I want to give you my entire lot. I'll tear down the house if you insist. I'll give you the neighborhood, the city, the state. What's wrong with my garden? I'm not sure what part of me feels an unhappiness, but it's there, like a dream that won't let go even in the afternoon.

14 comments:

Kimberlee said...

Hard to judge the 'feel' of the space in photos. Definitely needs some shots of color--to move the eye. They would bring the butterflies and dragonflies too. Once you have those, you will find the magic again. :) Do you grow only ornamentals, btw? I make my plants work for a living: you either feed me, heal me, or contribute to my entertainment. Dems da rules. hahaha

Gaia Gardener: said...

It sounds to me like you've got a strong case of the "I want to get out and DO something...but there's nothing that needs doing" blues. I suspect that's why some gardeners become enamored of pruning and manicuring - there's always something that needs to be done then!

For more bloom at this time of year, perhaps you could throw in a few lanceleaf or other coreopsis. This year, at least, my lanceleafs have been reseeding nicely for me. I also have pink evening primrose and Missouri evening primrose that gives me an earlier start than the milkweeds and Echinaceas. Common yarrow. Spiderwort. Prairie larkspur. Penstemon. Getting some early bloom going would make you happier too.

Either that, or you need to move to a place with a bigger yard!

Pam/Digging said...

I think all gardeners feel this from time to time -- or all the time. That's why we keep working on making the garden better.

Your comment about the garden feeling small, though, makes me think that maybe you do want to create some "walls" in your garden, for that garden room effect. Not seeing everything at once definitely makes a garden feel bigger.

Benjamin Vogt said...

K -- the problem is there ARE no insects. Every year I have tons, I garden for them period. I have over 250 unique plants, 80% native, and use no sprays of any kind "organic" or not. The color, as far as blooms, is there, but won't get going until July, and again September. I do have blooms from March until October out there, though. I guess my rant was one of both feeling boxed in design wise, and noticing the MASSIVE lack of insects, my raison d'etre these days. :)
GG -- I actually have most of what you suggest there, and do have those blues.... I have stuff going out there for at least 7mths here in zone 5, but where are the freaking bugs????? We're killing them. Hence, I feel I if I had a bigger space I could do more, help them more.... but probably not.
P -- Yes, walls. I designed backwards (not knowing what I was doing 6 years ago), and put in perennials before shrubs, trees, grasses. Too late now. However, once the 6-12' perennials get at full height here in another month, there are more walls, more surprises around corners, more hidden views.

Abby Palmer said...

Wow - you seem to have read my mind. This is EXACTLY how I've been feeling about my own garden lately. That it's too small, that I'm not doing enough to provide a safe haven for insects, that the design is limited, that it's just not enough. And where are all the bees? It's just too darn quiet out there - sometimes I feel postively alone.

It's hard not to let my disillusionment get the better of me when my neighbour has announced plans to rip out all the hazlenut trees that separate our properties so that he can subdivide and put up a second house. It makes me feel that the difference I'm making in my humble plot is just so miniscule, the rate of transformation, glacial.

But we gardeners DO make a difference, no matter how small, and I need to remind myself of that when I'm not feeling particularly enlivened by the garden.

So thank you for putting into words something I've been feeling troubled by. It sounds like I'm not alone after all!

Benjamin Vogt said...

Abby -- Susan Tweit (google her) just posted on FB that a bee biologist or whatever you call them said just one 8x10' plot of native flowers at each house could stabilize insect populations. That's not much at all. Do-able! You and may have to make up for some of our neighbors, hence my 1,500'.

allanbecker-gardenguru said...

More plants alone are not the solution. Color, better contrast of foliage, and direction of movement are also needed. The path should have one destination and not several and there should be interesting stops along its way.

scottweberpdx said...

You're not alone...I think every gardener (myself included) feel unsatisfied with their garden at some point. I think we are always driven to strive for it to be "better". The insect absence is bothering...I've noticed the same thing here. We do have them...but they don't seem nearly as abundant as they were in years past...makes me very nervous. I actually breathe a sigh of relief when I see bees buzzing about...I don't even notice that I've tensed up, afraid I won't see any.

Diana Studer said...

the silence of the bees, would make me nervous too. Grateful to report that we have bees, will look out for butterflies tomorrow. And I know the moths are still with us, as they sneak in and fly around in the evening.

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

There is a lack of butterflies here as well, but the bees are still going although not as many and the dragonflies are plentiful with the pond. But the lack of insects is troubling indeed. I have the same ho hum feeling with my garden...and the skeeters are out of control.

Samantha said...

"..You're not alone...I think every gardener (myself included) feel unsatisfied with their garden at some point."

Indeed, count me in on that one too.. why not try adding this shed http://www.cheapsheds.com.au/garden-sheds/timber-garden-sheds/settlers-hut-3-6m-x-2-6m-x-3-0m-plus-1-1m-verandah-timber-shed-with-2-windows.html on your garden to more accent..

Heather/xericstyle said...

I love your garden and I think it is AMAZING. Maybe because you are over the thrill of creating it?????and now it is more about maintenance and less about planting and design???? TRUE ARTIST! Funny how we are all so different...I look forward to the day my garden is self-sustaining and more complete like yours!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think some sunflowers or the infamous brown eyed Susan, Fennel is nice monarch attractor, I have many black and blue ones this year and purple basil is easy to grow. Some marigolds or butterfly plants are great to, Petunias will get the bees back or wasps for pollination then you will be full of color.

Anonymous said...

I think it needs more height layers especially at the sides - hide the fence and it'd feel more cosy and maybe a tall potted specimen where the path curves opposite the brown pot - a slash of a different leaf colour further in (dark purple like a Japanese barberry (Berberis thunbergii 'Helmond Pillar'), maybe an ornamental grass in a pot? Still its nice. I actually though it small and narrow.