Saturday, April 30, 2011

End of Semester Quote

“The natural world need not be logical in any obvious way. Science [or literature!] does not consist of imposing our reason on the world but rather reducing our preconceptions to the point that the world imposes its logic on us. This is very difficult indeed, involving a minimalization of our ego while maintaining our full powers of observation and receptivity. The capacity to perform this feat is what the teacher of science [or English!] attempts to foster in the student. No one succeeds completely.”

--L. Slobodkin(from Simplicity and Complexity in Games of the Intellect)

1 comment:

Diana Studer said...

Takes me a while to unpack that.

Observation and receptivity, followed by searching the web, to see if I could have seen, what I thought I saw - should give me an interesting (to me anyway!!) post for Tuesday. Garden blogging combines the 'science' and the 'literature'.