Thursday, March 8, 2012

Go Go Gadget Grow Lights

My wife helped me reorganize the closet under the stairs so I could fit in a grow station. It's my first ever. I've two shelves, with one to expand on, two T5 lights at 6400K, heat pads, timer, and fan. Even soil-less potting soil. Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll some native perennial seedlings to hand out at Lincoln's Earth Day, where my garden coaching business will be (coneflowers, aster, goldenrod, liatris, milkweed). Also may start some veg--I'm virginal with that, too.


So, grade me on a scale of 1-10: 1 it's ugly and won't work and I think you stink at gardening (you're mother was a hamster and smelt of elderberries), and 10 it's awesome and makes me want to strip naked howling through the streets in joy for you and all creation glory be amen.

11 comments:

Dawn said...

We can't rate it till we get some results! But if you want to run naked through the streets, go ahead!

laveta'splace said...

Looks like a great start. Can't wait to see what grows.

greggo said...

I give a 7. Form follows function. I've got a 5 week head start on you however. My tray is on the floor near a heater vent, with two fluorescent lights hanging from a 6' plastice folding table. The wall outlet is two prong so I have to piggyback a three prong adapter with a timer and multiple adapter on top of that. Looks pretty pathetic.

Susan in the Pink Hat said...

I'm with Dawn. No rating until we see the results.

David said...

Nice set up- I look forward to see the germinants. No naked running for me, but it has nothing to do with your set up!

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

I give it a 10 but refuse to strip naked and howl through the streets...maybe! I started my 2 shelf grow station and have been growing greens and herbs all winter and now grow some annuals to see how I fair at this...my plan is to also grow natives to put in the garden and meadow...glad you took the plunge.

Julie Stone said...

Well done! I give it a 8 based on having all the requirements met (adjustable light, fan, etc) and you'll get a 10 if you successfully transplant seedlings that mature into healthy plants. Yours is way better looking than my first set-up, I had no idea what I was doing and had great results, I'm sure you will too.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Ok y'all, I'll try and sow something this weekend. I think the hardening off thing will give me the most fits (I'm not attentive). I cut down 50% of the garden today, so this indoor stuff is waning.

Mary Gray said...

Nifty! I love how you've made your stair-closet thingee a productive little room! Here's to hoping there's no "damping off" for your seedlings....that's what always gets mine!

Rob T said...

Following up on Mary Gray's comment about damping off - include a small fan, and you shouldn't have any problems. I give it a 6 - good start, but let's see what results you get.

Anonymous said...

As a fellow do-it-yourself grow light shelving unit maker, I give you an 8. Ingenuity counts!