Sunday, March 22, 2009

Free Pot & Honeybee in Bird Feeder

Over 200 I imagine. See?















That's 1.5 seasons, and the #1 reason why a few people say my garden looks like it's been here longer than it really has. $$$

And what's this in the bird feeder? A honeybee?


















The elm is blooming (above), though I'm afraid the development graders might have ripped up too many feeder roots, and hence its many dead branches.














Chokeberry is budding. And so are the three various willows. And just this weekend the martagon lily has come out of the ground--may she bless us with dozens of blooms this year.


















And here is the latest and last tree--I swear, really--I will ever plant on this property: a 'Prairie Fire' crabapple (I now have 13 trees). If you go to Campbell's nursery the price ain't bad for this lovely 8 footer, and for just $10 they deliver later that day. Suhweet. This crab will, some day, umbrella itself over the entrance to the garden with its sweet rosey blooms, delicate red fall fruit, and lots of bird droppings. It is already just barely leafing out.

That widget to the above right is really starting to freak me out.

8 comments:

CanadianGardenJoy said...

David .. that widget is freaking me out now too !
Look at all those free pots .. now that is a great idea : ) Joy
Take THE widget OFF !!! LOL

Susan Tomlinson said...

Sigh. I love flowering crabapples.

Pay no attention to the widget. You're going to be fine.

Donna at Suburban Sanctum said...

Wow, that is a lot of pots in 1.5 seasons! Good for you. Another good thing about 'Prairie Fire'--its disease resistance. Our unidentified crab turns gray by mid-summer (I won't spray it any more). We had 'Prairie Fire' at our old house and it never did that. You're going to enjoy it!

Rosemarie said...

Are those all those pots that can't be recycled??

Benjamin Vogt said...

Joy--Who is David?
Susan--What widget? :(
Donna--That's why I picked it! Nothing gets put here that shouldn't work here. Plus, the cedars next door have rust every spring, which is a good motivation for me. I hope my serviceberries do ok.
Rosemarie--Long time no see! I've not sorted out the pots yet, but I hope that most can be recycled. That's another afternoon. Argh.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Oh you will love that crabapple tree in a few years! Mine smells heavenly when its blooming. Mine should be blooming soon! Oh and WiseAcre said to say hi(-:

WiseAcre said...

Just over an hour to go. You know what they say in show biz - Break a leg.
(don't take that literally)

LOL - multiply that stash of pots by 100 and you'll have an idea of what's behind my garage.

So what are you putting in that bird feeder?
Honey Nut Cheerios?

May Penguins and Stars On Ice colonize your garden.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Cindee--WA was at yer place? I'm anxious for the fragrance of the crabapple, as long as the weather doesnt' stay at 26 and kill the blooms.
WA--6 days! Not an hour! Thank goodness, too. I put cheerios in thefeeder, yes, so what?