Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sandhill Cranes Are Here

I think we heard, and saw, sandhill cranes migrating late this afternoon, far up in the sky. I googled the call and it sure sounds like what we heard. The birds above were larger than most and the wings looked like the crane's, too. It's nearly peak migration time here in Nebraska, and these birds were heading west toward central NE and the Platte River. Pretty cool. Maybe I'm just outside more now with a garden, but it sure does seem like the wildlife are more present or noticable on the edge of town. Not a revelation I know, but I'm liking this, and want to go further out. And stay there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read that the Platte is referred to as the greatest singles bar for cranes. :) It must be pretty amazing to witness them during their migration. When I lived in Northern Idaho, the bald eagle population would peak in January and February. That area is their traditional wintering grounds. It was quite a treat to see them.

Benjamin Vogt said...

Liisa--I only saw maybe 50-75 in the air, so I Can't imagine thousands upon thousands checking each other out on the Platte. I've only seen one bald eagle once, from a distance, but that was pretty sweet.

Mary Beth said...

Sandhill crane has a very distinctive (and loud) call, doesn't it? A small population winters down here (or do they migrate through?) - either way, we love hearing them fly over.

Jenn said...

Coolest call ever. They sound maniacal!